Old September 27th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Glenn[_3_]

Default Full-throttle Take Off in Mooney M20J

I once taught 3 people to fly in that make and model.

I teach to never ever touch throttle in any way until at least 1000 on take
off unless you are going to stay in the pattern. Then not until pattern
altitude. . Most engine failures occur with a throttle change. I don't
want the thing to quit me at 500 feet. As slow as that plane is to climb, I
usually left it to full bore until I'm close to my cruise altitude.

Old CFI

"Evan Salant" wrote in message
I have read conflicting recommendations for take-off power in a M20J.
Some people seem to suggest that it's best to reduce MP/RPM to 25/2500
after 500 feet, while others suggest full throttle/2600 until cruise
altitude reached.

Any thoughts ?