Old March 16th 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Gas Strut for early (1997) Anschau Komet trailer

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 5:51:25 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
McMaster-Carr?

Given everything else required to keep a glider flying, changing the struts should not be hard for the mechanic watching over the plane.

The struts seem to come in standard sizes.
I've had good luck with the reducible force struts from McMaster.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-struts/=1bvbdcz

The only trick is setting the force.
You only get one chance to dump the gas down to the right force.
I cobbled a rig with 2x4's, pulleys, and a spring scale to do this.

Use something safe to hold the trailer open when swapping the strut.