Old May 12th 18, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill[_21_]

Default Gas Strut for early (1997) Anschau Komet trailer

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 9:44:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 10:15:02 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I ordered the same Bansbach struts (QS-28-350) two years ago for a 1978-vintage Komet with the external hinges. Only difference was I asked for 1600N and they've been fine so far.

The critical dimension for my trailer was compressed length of 452mm which is slightly less than this strut w/their standard hinge eye...Bansbach swapped in a different set which brought the length down.

Lead time for their "quick ship" items wasn't bad, seem to recall 1-2 weeks. You can custom order to any spec but lead time jumps out further.

Thanks for the info, however I'm not clear what you mean by "Bansbach swapped in a different set". Do you mean a different set of hinge eyes? Or something internal in the set. This must have been the issue with mine, and the reason for failure. The old struts had shorter eyes that were fixed to the strut, adding hinge eyes to the previously fixed side effectively increased the overall length. Could you possibly provide a part number or a photo of the hinge eyes that you are using?

I had great success with the Bansbach QS-28-350 1600N struts and they are installed on my Anschau/Komet trailer. Bansbach USA was very helpful and after receiving the struts, I ordered new (shorter) strut end eyes. Bansbach sent me via email the dimensions of all the strut end eyes available and I ordered after measuring. You can order direct from Anshau in Germany and while it will cost a little more, it is an easy solution.