Old March 6th 20, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Contest Rules and Waiver for Nationals Now Posted

Is cloud flying prevalent in sailplane races? I don’t think so, I can only remember two instances in the last 45 years. Is it serious? Potentially, very serious! I have a snapshot seared into my memory of a sailplane going straight down with a parachute above it! My thought was, glad that guy got out, OK..........turned out the parachute was from the other ship involved in the midair , the ship going straight down still contained its pilot desperately trying to exit the ship! He didn’t make it! The two ships were working the vail under a Cu..............you can figure out the rest!

The other suspected cloud flying occurred 6 years ago in a regionals. Thunderstorm day with a MAT called. Cloud base 8000’ with 50% cloud cover (cu’s). I was flying with the suspected perpetrator, we took one turnpoint, then headed for Truckee. About 10 miles north, I decided Truckee looked to be too risky because it’s 6000’ MSL and cloud base was 8000’. I took White House and turned north. The suspect kept heading for Truckee who claimed It and then flew on south going around Mt.. Rose then to Carson City where his trace flew straight as an arrow to Minden then straight back to Carson City.........at an altitude well above cloud base of 8000’. Was he flying in clouds? Seems clear to me, but I couldn’t prove that cloud base was 8000’ south of Truckee.

So, what, if anything should we do? I believe that cloud flying should be given the same attention and scrutiny as violating controlled airspace and briefed by the CD as such.

Just my 2 cents worth,
JJ