Old December 20th 06, 06:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Toolpusher

Default GAWD!!

John wrote in
:

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 06:28:01 +1100, "Conscious Pilate"
wrote:

The Kalitta Air jet took off from O'Hare International Airport in
Chicago late Wednesday. It later reported mechanical problems in one
of Its engines, a Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman in
Chicago said. The Boeing 747 was able to fly, but was diverted as a
safety precaution to Detroit, where it landed without incident, FAA
officials said. No one was injured.
After the landing, airline personnel discovered the engine was
completely gone, FAA officials said.
Michigan authorities searched Thursday for the engine, which may have
fallen into Lake Michigan, the FAA said. The FAA will Investigate the
incident, but the results of an investigation could take weeks.

Looking at picture 20159, you will notice that #2 engine is off it's
axis - pointing inboard. Makes me think this is a possible mid-air as
I cannot conjure a scenario where the outboard (and more aft) engine
could do this. Especially considering that the photo (28297) of #1
pylon indicates an up, outboard and aft rotation of the separated
engine.

J. W. Alger

I know what happened to that engine, I've seen that old Twilight Zone
episode with William Shatner....