Old May 5th 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Freedom and Prisons

BT wrote:
Actually the prison at Jean is "off airport", but under the traffic pattern,
they "the guards" don't like that, but its the glider pattern, we are a
little busy to be dropping contraband into the yard. They hate the
helicopters flying patterns there.

Add Boulder (CO) and Dalhart (TX)...though Boulder is a municipal
airport near/in town & the prison is the city prison, while Dalhart is
similar to Hobbs in that the (state) pen is on (former?) airport property.

The Boulder city lockup is directly under the glider crosswind pattern
entry, while the at Dalhart the pen is essentially one of the house
thermals. I've been told the Dalhart guards don't like airplanes flying
over (& by extension sailplanes circling) low over it, but I know at
least one of the pen's local employees is friendly to gliders.

Tangential to Rick Walters' (sardonic?) observation, I'll bet a
considerably higher percentage of glider guiders know of the underlying
reason for Alexis de Tocqueville's historic visit to the U.S. than the
public at large. That's by (very) indirect way of agreeing w. R.W. btw...

Regards,
Bob W.