Old January 22nd 04, 04:34 PM
Tom Pappano

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'll probably get flamed for this idea -- oh well.

Nope, still no solutions. But I like your ideas!

We've always got to walk the fine line between kitsch and cool. Sometimes
it's hard to discern the line, and women have a completely different concept
of "cool" than men do, especially regarding aviation.

Mary and I actually agree on the chasing lights, which is sort of amazing to
me.

I have a design for exactly what you need!
Making a proper looking "rabbit" can be done with one "chip" (well,
really two). Using a small "mixed signal" microcontroller will
let you:

1. control the overall brightness
2. control the speed the rabbit "runs"
3. control the rate the sequence repeats
4. control the percentage of "on" time for each light

These adjustments should let you find just the effect
that you want. The whole controller would be about 2" X 3".
The whole system would run off a small wall transformer.
I believe the Electrical Code does not prohibit
this type arrangement. If you have an "air-plenum"
ceiling, however, you must use proper cable, such as
"plenum rated" telephone cable.

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA,
obsessive-compulsive embedded applications designer 8-)

ps: I shall consult the AIM to see just how a MRALS
(Medium intensity Resevation desk Approach Lighting System)
should be configured