Old January 16th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Joe Kultgen

Default The more things change...

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Joe Kultgen" wrote

I'm kind of curious about one thing though. Whatever happened to
that guy who was suing the FAA under provisions of the ADA claiming
the weight limits for ultralights discriminated against heavy people?

That's a new one to me, and I've been around here about 10 years. I
may have forgotten about it if it was way back when, but I can say
with some confidence that there has been nobody around here with that
kind of claim, in the past couple years.

IIRC it was back around '96 and the guy was contending that the FAA limit
of 254 pounds max empty weight made ultralights dangerously unsafe for
anyone much over the FAA standard person weight of 170. I believe he was
looking for an exemption that would let him fly his two person trainer with
a single seat. Ring any bells? I think the guy lived in Florida.

Joe