Old November 21st 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default A deal at Home Depot

True! And need to get enough people doing so to make a difference.

".Blueskies." wrote in message
Need to vote libertarian...

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

: Well this Californa homeowner/DIY builder did put a basement (40X24)

under
: my place in the desert. We live just 40 miles North of Rutan's Skunk
: Works.
: We didn't bother putting a vapor barrier beneath the basement concrete
: floor
: because you can get a prize if you can spit and it hits the ground.

It is
: dry here. We are on the east side of the Sierras about 2 miles away

from
: a
: canyon that has a stream part of the year that hits the ground about 4
: miles
: away and disappears right into the ground. I've lived in the area 41
: years
: and have never seen any flood water get anywhere within miles of our
: house.
: However, when we decided to put an extension on our existing building,

we
: were informed that we were in some flood plain and a threat of 0.5' of
: standing or running water was declared by FEMA to be a risk in the

100year
: flood. Further they told us that if the cost of the addition exceeded

50%
: of the existing structure, we might be required to "Raise the existing
: structure 1.5" This we have in writing and they were informed of the

9'
: deep basement and the "existing structure is a 40X72 steel building.
: In spite of the dry desert environment, I don't believe that it is
: currently possible to get a permit to build a basement in our area.

Our
: basement maintains a very comfortable temperature year round and has

never
: been flooded by any act of nature in the 34 years it has existed.
: BTW the permit for our 24X72 addition for a car garage cost in excess

of
: $1,000. No plumbing, no electric, no windows.
: Think carefully before you decide you have to have a basement. I

don't
: know
: about you but I'm getting sick and tired of government intervention in

my
: personal life.
:
: --
: Stu Fields
: Experimental Helo magazine
: P. O. Box 1585
: Inyokern, CA 93527
: (760) 377-4478
: (760) 408-9747 general and layout cell
: (760) 608-1299 technical and advertising cell
:
: We have similar *()&^^%$ lunacy down here in Florida, with ever

increasing
: intensity since the early nineties, ostensibly to reduce the cost of
: reconstruction following a hurricane. The net result has been that any
: significant remodeling or repair costs MUCH, MUCH more and the costs of
: construction, repair, and insurance have multiplied. Yet our brilliant
: electorate, with the helpful assistance of the popular media, continues

: elect the *&&^%$$ reperesntatives who make all of the lunacy possible.
:
: Grrr.
:
: Peter