Old August 21st 03, 02:37 AM
Bob Gardner

Default 767 at LAX did a go-around today!

The mark of a good pilot(s). The passengers might expect every approach to
terminate in a landing, but no pilot should have that expectation.

Bob Gardner

"Yossarian" wrote in message
et...
I was listening to the LAX tower (south runways) on my handheld today at
about 3:40pm and was surprised to hear American 297 heavy call "going
around" while on short final. I followed along as the pilot reported a
slats problem. Tower headed him to LAX VORTAC then outbound 235 at 2000'.
Two SoCal approach controllers took him in turn, asking if he needed
assistance but apparently they worked everything out and landed safely 10
minutes later. Pretty minor I guess but I've never seen or heard of a

heavy
jet doing a go around. Must have freaked some of the passengers out!