Old October 6th 03, 11:00 AM
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:42:34 +0200, "Peter Glasų" pgglaso @
broadpark.no wrote:

Yes,Saddam turned out to be a really nice guy after all.And he is sorely
missed,right?

The thing that really ****es me off about the whole situation is not
the result on Iraq, but the effect on Western democracy (and I include
Russia here).

SH was a total *******, We should have chased his sorry ass all the
way to Baghdad in '91. I rejoice in his downfall and the impending day
when he is torn limb from limb down the streets of Tikrit.

But if this was a long-overdue war to depose SH, then why couldn't we
be _honest_ about it and call it that ?

Instead we've seen the unedifying spectacle of Bush blaming SH for the
WTC attacks, and the majority of America believing it. Or Blair
claiming that we're only 45 minutes from an Iraqi attack on the Tube.
Now Bush isn't my prez, so I'll let someone else rant about him. But
Blair has lied and cheated all around this issue, and has misled and
twisted the parliament of _my_ country in a way that hasn't been seen
since Charles I.

There are no WMD. There were once, he wanted some more, but the fine
work of UNSCOM and UNMOVIC kept his greedy little hands out of the
cookie jar (despite some shameful behaviour by some European
manufacturers and conniving governments). If any last remnant of these
programs had survived, or some final struggle went on like
Heisenberg's atomkeller, then it was by and large irrelevant. It was
certainly no justification for this war.

We (the larger coallition of Western states) should have waited. There
was scope for ongoing inspection, if we really were concerned about an
international risk of WMD attack. Against the argument of "We had to
move in before the Summer heat", I'd ask why such moves couldn't have
been put in train 6 months earlier, and also point out that it's now
October and ground troops are still in there, after the worst of
Summer.

Waiting, and continuing the inspections, would have probably brought
Germany on board as a supporter, if there was any real justification,
and would have reduced the basis on which France and Russia could have
continued to refuse.

I think Blair probably does sincerely believe in the threat of Iraqi
WMD. He is, after all, the Hughie Green of British sound-bite
politics. But this has more to with him being so far up his own spin
that he convinces himself to truly believe it. A UK president with
such a capacity for genuine doublethink is truly frightening.

--
Smert' spamionam