Old January 28th 13, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Janus 2-seat glider as a club glider?

In 1959 my primary glider trainer was a war-surplus LK10A - probably the least suitable trainer I've ever flown. However, it did teach me to recognize impending spin departures before things got out of hand. The hand wringing about flaps is amusing. Every airplane trainer these days has flaps - and, of course, an engine to manage. Come to think of it, gliders are probably the only aircraft still manufactured without flaps.

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 6:24:32 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Dream on... We're continually bombarded these days with messages that we

can't do this or that, or a particular feature of the car won't work while

in motion "For Your Safety". Thanks a lot, Ford... Nevermind that my wife

is a GPS fiend and the air bag sensor in the passenger seat says she's

there.

No, if it's got flaps it's "too difficult", or that's "too much to keep

track of". And don't get me started on tail wheels. Three trips around the

pattern in an L-19 with retractable skis and I was cut loose to have fun in

the Alaskan bush. But that was in the early 70s when men were still men....

"Bill D" wrote in message

The light dawns!

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:48:24 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Thanks for that.

It's not about the complexity of the aircraft, it's entirely about the

quality of the instruction.

wrote in message

Le jeudi 17 janvier 2013 08:35:59 UTC+1, Eric Munk a �crit :

Depends on what you want to use it for. Ab initio: no way.

Why? I've been with a club in Germany (also as instructor) which did

ab-initio including first solo on a Janus B (later on on a Janus C).

No problem whatsoever.