View Single Post
Old January 18th 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default What a race in Chile today!!!

I think many pilots would love to try SGP racing. If we ever have a race within a day or two drive I will fly. Come out west sometime.

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 6:22:06 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I'm not sure why Wilbur thinks the SSA ultimately won't embrace SGP. I cant speak for the RC but I know a lot of top competition pilots who've come to like SGP and there's even talk of testing and sanctioning a Formula 1.0 type race in 2019, maybe here in Michigan or Kansas. Hell, if I had an 18m ship I'd be flying 2018 SGP Orlando too. Btw, a significant portion of SSA sanction fees largely go towards supporting the Junior Contest Rebate Program and other Junior initiatives. I can't speak to why SGP Ionia wasnt sanctioned but I don't believe there's any grand conspiracy against SGP in the USA. Presently 3 of the SSA's Board Members are registered to fly in 2018 SGP Orlando I believe. I would think they might support an effort to sanction and promote SGP racing in the U.S. in an effort to grow the sport and offer more opportunities for people to compete. Food for thought. As for the SGP Finals, I'm glad Tom Kelley has gone down to Chile to represent the USA. Maybe in future years others will go too and someday we'll be competitive in the format. I wish 7T had been able to go to Chile. I know he would have given it his very best and I suspect would have been competitive had he gone. Mountain flying is not easy though. It would be nice to see a younger breed of pilots with extensive Mtn and Ridge flying experience pursue a SGP title.

- Chris Schrader