Old September 4th 07, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default Making plastic parts

Drew Dalgleish wrote:
On Mon, 03 Sep 2007 13:08:32 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Acyrilic casting resin - arts and crafts stuff...

Would this stuff be suitable for making a lens cover for a wingtip
strobe?

Jerry Wass wrote:

Hmmm--I wonder how they get those little spiders,Scorpions, medalions
etc inside those polished acrylic deskweights???Jerry

Lou wrote:

Does anyone know of a material that starts as a liquid, but hardens as
a platic?
I want to make some custom plastic parts for my plane (no not for the
structure)
that will require making a mold and then pouring in the liquid.
Lou

Dunno, Drew.

I formed a few from Polycarbinate and Lexan with varying degrees of sucess.

But the heat from the bulb turned out to be the real killer.
Actually melted through in less than 1/2 hour.
Granted wind would cool them some, but I gave up and replaced them
with normal wing tip marker lights (glass covers).

I can't guess how well acrylic resin would survive.
But the heat will for sure be an issue...

Guess that's why it says Experimental on the side.

Richard