Old July 17th 03, 04:44 PM
Roger Tracy

I have a Garmin 196. It has a simulated instrument
panel page on it that is pretty accurate. It would be
the tie breaker in the event of confusion over what
the gyro instruments were saying.

"Sydney Hoeltzli" wrote in message
Julian Scarfe wrote:

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here. Classic teaching of
partial/limited panel involves covering an instrument and then

continuing to
fly without it. In the case of the Bandeirante accident, that wasn't

the
issue. There was still a perfectly serviceable AI in the panel, and a

pilot
sitting in front of it. The issue was identifying the failed instrument

in a
complex cockpit environment.

I'm not sure I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Possibly practicing flying partial panel makes little sense. OTOH,
practicing partial panel *does* teach which combinations of instruments
can be used to provide the same information as the missing AI.

Surely this is relevant to obtaining and maintaining a good
crosscheck -- and wouldn't good crosscheck be the key to identifying
the failed instrument in a "complex cockpit environment"?

BTW, my reading of the accident report is that they weren't
certain but what both AIs had failed -- something that was certainly
within statistical likelihood given the low MTBUR

Cheers,
Sydney