Old August 27th 05, 02:52 PM
Steven Barnes

We have a dedicated DME box in our Cherokee. So, I can do VOR/DME or LOC/DME
approaches easily.
Question (with the understanding it varies from unit to unit):

Where does the DME info come from when using an IFR cert GPS? Correct me if
I'm wrong, but a box like the GNC300XL doesn't have NAV, so there's no
"tuning" of the localizer on the GPS. What do you "dial in" to get a DME
readout? Do you have to change your waypoint from the airport you were
navigating to?
I flew behind a 530/430 a couple times. On those boxes you can actually
"tune in" the localizer. The 530 displays a GPS distance in a dedicated
field on one of the pages. The 430 did not.

I'm sure it's a matter of just getting familiar with the box you're flying
behind, but to me, having a dedicated DME box in my panel gives me one less
thing to do.

Now, having said that, last weekend I think my partner & I discovered the
glideslope in our KI214 (i think that's the right number. it's the old nav
head hooked to an older King 170-B) was flagged during some practice
approaches. Ugh. We had the same problem last year, & spend $1,700 getting a
replacement put in. If this one has shot craps, I want to look for some
newer equipment. I've always been lusting after a 430, but it's a bit out of
reach at the moment.

Sorry for rambling. My wallet hurts.

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
om...
I have a 'low ball' setup in my Maule. A certified GNC300XL (kind of
second generation)with comm, one NavCom with slope, and that's it. The
300XL must go used for a song but the installation is the real cost.
Gives you DME and ADF equivalence and GPS approaches. I'm putting the
396 in for weather and GPS backup.

john smith wrote:
Buy used equipment.
Panel mounted COM and GPS.
The handheld is for backup and providing information not required by the
regs.