Old December 19th 03, 02:23 PM
tscottme

William W. Plummer wrote in
message news:ZmsEb.146587$_M.719680@attbi_s54...
Has any pilot ever been prosecuted (by the FAA, NTSB, ...) for

declaring an
emergency when, in some experts opinion, one did not exist?

[Reference:
decending through icing layer while short on fuel]

I participated in a research project a few years ago concerning this
issue. After the experiments, the person doing the research indicated
he had not been able to find any enforcement action against a pilot for
unnecessarily declaring an emergency. Nearly all of the pilot
participating in the project has tried to avoid declaring and talked
around the issue with ATC with bad results.

I've not seen any reason to avoid declaring when there is a possibility
of needing help. My rule would be, if you start thinking if you should
declare or not, do it. It's unlikely there will even be paperwork
unless there are serious injuries or damage.

--

Scott
--------