Old June 5th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default Cause of Huey blade sound

Guy Alcala wrote:
Over on the rec.aviation.military forum a discussion got
around to the doppler effect and/or helo rotor blades, and
the following exchange took place:

if the air reaches M 1.0 going over the
thickest part of the airfoil, bang!. Whop, whop, whop . .

Is that what gives the Huey its distinctive (not to say
spooky) sound?
I always assumed it had something to do with the fact that
it was
turbine powered, the blade downwash acting against the jet
blast. No?

No.

If it's just a matter of blade speed, why does no other
helo sound
like a Huey?

I've read an explanation somewhere; IIRR it's an artifact of
the two-blade teetering rotor design, but I'm going to ask
over on r.a.r. The four-blade Hueys (Model 412) now
available don't make that sound.

Can anyone confirm (ordeny) my memory as to what causes the
Huey's sound? And if I'm correct, does this only happen on
Bell's teetering rotor design for the Huey, or is it also a
feature of the Model 47 as well as the Hiller UH-12,
Robinson etc.(or would be if they had large enough diameter
blades to get the tips up near supersonic)?

I'm pretty damn sure it's just a case of tip speed, and therefore rpm
and blade length. I don't see why a teetering head in itself would
cause the sound -- I don't think the extra speed from lack of lag in
the advancing blade would make that much difference.