Old July 18th 11, 09:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton[_3_]

Default UK2 AF392 Lockheed LightningMkII to USAF 43-2206 P-38G TontoutaABNewGuinea.jpg

"Glenn" wrote in message
eb.com...

The tree's look very australianish. My first thought was it might be
ariund Townsville. But I just can't match teh mountain range.

According to Joe Baugher's site, the B-17 had a successful war.

Boeing B-17E Fortress
"2426 - delivered to Salt Lake SAD Nov 16, 1941 transferred to 11BG/43BS as
aircraft No. 42; transferred to 5AF
Aug 1943; RETUS Hendricks Feb 12, 1944; to RFC and sold for scrap Dec
31, 1945."

Peace was a little hard on it though.

Same source shows this for the Lightning

Lockheed P-38G-13-LO Lightning

43-2206 (347th FG) lost in SW Pacific Jul 17, 1943. MACR 83

Looking up the 347th FG, there was one as part of the XIII Fighter command.
Wikipedia shows it based at Luganville Airfield, Espiritu Santo, New
Hebrides for most of '43.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XIII_Fighter_Command

I agree that the vegetation looks more like Townsville than anything but
Townsville. It wouldn't be impossible for these planes to come back
for depot-level maintenance.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton