Old April 29th 05, 09:21 PM
Newps

David Bridgham wrote:

The point I'd hoped to make was not my particular ideas of how to make
a better system for air traffic (though I'm happy to talk about that
too). My point is that the monopoly situation that we currently have
with ATC is a result of the particular design that came to be for good
reasons given the technology at hand. However, technology has changed
so much since the 40's (even though our planes haven't) that it seems
worth reconsidering the fundamentals, not just trying to push ahead
with the same old thing. The need for a monopoloy is not a given.

There is no way that 50 airplanes, each with a computer trying to figure
out a sequence, will ever be as efficient as one controller. Cannot be
done. Your system would immediately fall apart when you start
introducing everyday variables into the mix. Such as vehicles/aircraft
needing to cross or access the runway, aircraft missing their turnoff,
aircraft aborting takeoff, debris falling off aircraft and needing to be
cleaned up, mowing, snow removal, the list is endless.