Old May 8th 04, 01:28 AM
Jonathan

Default flight training - 100nm night flight requirement

Hi all,
I've been a long time lurker in these NGs, but until now I havent had any
great items to ask or discuss. But I know the how much knowledge is in
these groups, so here goes...

A friend of mine is going for his Private. one of the requirements (as I
fondly recall from my own training) is a Night Cross country flight greater
than 100nm.

Now, from the definitions, I see a cross-country flight "includes a point
of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50
nautical miles from the original point of departure."

This friend went for a night flight from ap "A" to ap "B", 61nm away.
Landed (stop and go?) and returned to ap "A". Total distance is 122nm

So, the question to the group is, does this satisfy the requirement of
61.109(a)(2)(i) "One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total
distance"?? (his instructor says yes, mine said no)

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jonathan
(ASEL, IA)

(ps. go easy on me, Steven, it's my first time ;-) )