Old June 21st 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5SZ

Default Custom Bowden Cables?

On Jun 21, 12:43*pm, RAS wrote:
On Jun 21, 11:51*am, sisu1a wrote:

I'm having trouble finding someone simultaneously capable as well as
willing to make a cable for my brake assembly for my ship. Spruce
doesn't have any barrel adjusters, a common motorcycle part.... *I
want the fancy swaged eyelet ends on a 3/32 cable (Spruce also only
offers .078 cable or I would probably just send them my own
barrel...), but need the barrel on it too. I've found people that
*could* do it, but won't touch it cause it's an airplane (I may have
them make a cable for my 'gold sluicing machine' or something
though . I've found parts suppliers, but I can't rotary swage... so
I'm looking for someone to just make it for me.

Suggestions?

TIA,
-Paul

The rotary swage equipment is very expensive and wouldn't expect to
find it outside of a large repair station. Unless it is a friend I
would tell them its for an aircraft as that will scare just scare off
just about everyone.
Another suggestion is to silver solder the end on the cable. As long
as there is no in use flex in the section near the fitting it works
well. I have used that method for a long time with zero failures.

Try a sailboat shop that does rigging. Also look in EAA mag. for
someone that does fling wires and such for By-planes.