Old October 26th 19, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default JS3 spins

Think of the aircraft spinning about its velocity vector in a bending corkscrew kind of motion as the velocity vector transitions from horizontal to vertical. I would expect that the higher performance gliders will take longer for the velocity vector to arc over and so the change in orientation of the nose relative to the horizon will be more extreme - depending on a whole host of factors - starting velocity, c.g., etc.

My ASW-27 definitely oscillates relative to the horizon on the first turn, but the nose doesn't get above the horizon like the JS3. Good thing to know.. You don't want to get disoriented in the recovery. Here's a look, the first spin shows the nose approaching, but not going above the horizon.

https://youtu.be/9aDJLDQ-5QU

Andy Blackburn
9B

On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 10:55:34 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Saturday, October 26, 2019 at 10:50:26 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NACT...gPoDgVInNY1mcE

Interesting that on the second turn the glider gets nose high. I have spun 2-32, K-21, ASW-24, North American SNJ-5, Ventus 2c, Nimbus 4 (quarter turn only), citabria, champ, Decathlon, maybe something else but I have never had the nose go above horizon. Can anyone tell of their experiences in a spin like this. The two most interring things I have had happen was one particular 2-32 would do an over the top spin enter from a deep slip and another would go from spin to spiral by itself.

Piper Super Cub was the other aircraft I had spun without ever having the nose point above horizon. I have had oscillations but nothing like the second turn of the JS3. Would like to understand a bit more about this an if there are techniques to keep the nose from going high other than recover sooner. Any shared experiences or comments welcomed.