Old July 23rd 03, 03:27 PM
Drew Hamilton

Default Canadians: Cost-sharing with passengers?

I have always been under the assuption that I am allowed to split rental costs
with my passengers, as long as I would have been going flying anyways, even
without them.

However, upon closer examination of the CARs I fear that I may be wrong:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv...01e.htm#401_28

Section 401.28 lays out the rules for reimbursement of costs incurred in
respect of a flight. One of subsections (2), (3), or (4) must be true
in order to receive reimbursement for flight costs. (3) and (4) deal
with flights conducted for your employer, and for non-profit charities,
respectively. (2) seems to be the only one that could apply.

But (2) only seems to apply to the owner or operator of an aircraft,
and not to a renter. Specifically it doesn't seem possible to split the
rental costs of a flight with your friends.

And "operator" doesn't mean "pilot-in-command", either, unfortunately. From
the Definitions in the CARs: "operator" - in respect of an aircraft, means the
person that has possession of the aircraft as owner, lessee or otherwise;
(utilisateur)

So it certainly seems to mean that I can't have my buddies chip in for
the rental costs of a flight if they decided to go flying with me...

Comments?

- awh