Old January 25th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Q: C-152 spin characteristics

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"gatt" wrote in
:

"John Smith" wrote in message

Does anybody have information to the contrary? I haven't done spins
since 1990 so I don't remember the numbers exactly.
From the SPORTYS catalog...
Basic Aerobatic Manual [Paperback]
Part #: Q00161
Author: William K Kershner
Pages: 100

Cool. I have his flight instructor's manual based on recommendations
here. It's a reference in my lesson plan along with the Jeppeson
Commercial book. Just wondering if other people have other experience;
for example, some people say at C-152 will unstall itself into a steep
spiral descent.

Turns out you can search for "Cessna spin" in YouTube.com and see all
kinds of great videos of people spinning 'em.
One of 'em just shows the instrument panel so you can see when the
spin develops (airspeed drops to zero) and see how much altitude is
lost per second. Can also see the airspeed start to increase
dramatically as the stall is broken.

Cool! There's even chase-plane video of Cessnas doing spins. Some
of those guys are starting at 5,000 feet indicated or lower, which
seems insane. I'd think you'd want to start at 8,000 or 9,000 just
for safety in case things don't go as planned. (cockpit object falls
under the rudder pedal or something)

Well, that can happen and has happened to a lot of people. But if you go
up to 9 grand two up in a 150 you got another emergency anyway, cause
you're out of gas!
I'd be happy enough at five with a floor of three

Bertie

.....not to mention the fact that it might take you past the 100 hour to
get up there :-)))

--
Dudley Henriques