Old April 22nd 05, 08:35 AM
Peter Duniho

"Richardfl" wrote in message
oups.com...
When performing off airport helicopter operations in controlled
airspace what is the proper radio procedures/calls when taking off
after a few hours on the ground? Should I just call with my position,
stating i am off airport requesting take off clearance?

Define "controlled airspace". You'd have to be pretty close to an airport
to actually be IN controlled airspace (in the US, anything other than Class
G) during takeoff.

If you're in Class D, C, or B (I'm assuming not A), then you need to make
the required radio calls. Just tell the controlling agency who you are,
where you are, and what you want. If you're in Class E, then you're pretty
close to an airport and you probably will want to make some sort of traffic
call on the CTAF.

If you're in Class G, I see no reason to make a radio call. On what
frequency would you transmit? Why would you think anyone was listening? In
other words, no radio required in that situation.

Some other questions:

* What did your rotorcraft instructor tell you when you asked him this
question?

* For those sponsoring you, how large will their logo, name, whatever be
on your clothing? How do they know you're holding up your end of the
bargain?

Pete