Old December 20th 05, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Should I get back into flying (long)

Gene Whitt wrote:
Y'All,
It' not just the FAA. It's the FBO, insurance companies, insurance agents
and most of all the lawyers. At 81 I am having to deal with all of these
even though I have never had a negative mark on my flying record in over
11,000 hours and over 10,000 instructional hours.

I have always carried my own liability and non-owned aircraft insurance at a
cost of about $3,000 per year with never a claim.
Only one time have I used AOPA legal services and after 14 months the FAA
dropped the case. The wanted $500 and I fought them to a standstill.

However, a clean record is not enough for an insurance company that lives in
fear of legal firms that prey on aviation. The tale recently given to me
was that if any one of the other instructors of my FBO were to cause an
insurance claim, one of the attacks by a lawyer might be against my FBO that
they were negligent in letting an 81-year old instructor teach using their
aircraft. I'm presently on a
short leash even though I'm the only instructor carrying my own
insurance as well.

I have in the past week passed my renewal of my CFI and flight review. Need
an IFR proficciency ride since my plane has been down a long time. Also need
a club 6-month check in complex-high performance aircraft (182RG)

More things happen more often as you get older.

Gene Whitt

Gettin old is better than the alternative but ' I feel your pain'. At
70 ( last year) AIG cut my 1 M smooth policy to 1 M with 100k per. I
was able to get 1 M and $250 per with Avemco but I can see that as you
age, you become a poorer risk without considering any other elements.

Chuck