Old March 19th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default New diesel engine from Subaru...

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk At Wow Way D0t C0m wrote in message

Not the first I hear about it. As I understand it is a modification of
their petrol boxers so the weight should be comparable.

I thought GM had killed the "gas engine converted to a diesel" market.

The typical 10,000 mile (or so) TBO didn't go over well with the public.

I've heard many times about how bad they were, but I still don't know the
actual cause or just what tended to break or wear out. The only specific
that I can personally recall was that the air intake placement made it
possible to injest water on some models. I believe that also heard that
the rings and cylinders had a shorter than normal life, anound 120K miles,
but only heard that from one user. So any further enlightenment is
welcome.

IIRC:

The big problem was bearings due to the increased particulates (and typical
sloppy owner maintainance).

A gas engine can go a LONG time between oil changes (10K at least) and still
make it well beyond 150K (Trust me on this one...), the Chevy diesel didn't
last if you didn't change the oil every 3000 - 5000 miles. "Real" diesels
are designed to deal with particulates combined with the higher loads.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com