Old June 6th 10, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default auto pilot v hand fly

On Jun 4, 10:28*pm, "Private" wrote:
Greetings Dudley, glad to see you are still here.

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

snip

The yoke mounted trim switch under my left thumb is how I trim for
altitude: I set up cruise power, usually reducing throttle from
whatever I was using for climb when I'm at about the expected
airspeed, and get the nose where I want it with trim. There are times
(not often) when the altimeter acts like the needle is painted on, but
mostly it takes a while to keep it stable where I want it, typically
assigned altitude less 50 feet. An interesting thing I have not really
figured out is that from both wings full to one wing half full (I burn
15ish gallons from my take off tank which holds 33 gallons the
airplane does not take on a serious deviation from wings level. That's
a bunch of foot pounds of moment change, but there it is. Earlier on
before my "take half of one wing,then most of the other, and after
that no matter what land" fuel management plan I'd try an hour out of
the first tank (maybe 10 gallons the way I fly), two hours from the
second, then back to the first to almost dry before landing for fuel.
I rarely plan on more than a 4 hour leg on a long trip even in CAVU
VFR.

There are lots of ways of dealing with long flights - the notion of
pre programming everything and then sitting back and watching the
airplane fly has no appeal to me. Others I am sure feel differently.