Old October 13th 15, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

On Tuesday, October 13, 2015 at 4:51:51 AM UTC+3, wrote:
I did my first 100+ flights as a private pilot on auto two. In Hobbs we used a 2000 ft wire, on 8000 ft of paved runway. In Odessa we used a 1200 ft poly rope on a 5000 ft paved runway. On the short rope we could get a launch of 800-900 feet in a 1-26. It was fun, and cheap! The best thing ( other than the price) was the fact that you had to get good at scratching around in whatever you could find. Those "scratching" skills have come in handy a few times for sure!

If you have a long paved runway, 5000 ft or more, auto tow is a great way to fly.

I'm sure it would be, but I can't think of any paved runway of even 4000 ft in NZ that hasn't got B1900s, Q300s, and/or warbirds who would be very upset about people auto-towing gliders there!

It's far easier to find 2000 ft of landable grass, or even 1500 ft of landable grass with unlandable extension to 5000 - 6000 ft for a wire.