Old September 23rd 03, 10:59 PM
Michael Stringfellow

ASA is an umbrella organization that exists to promote soaring in Arizona,
not really a club as such. It gave up training and owning towplanes and
most gliders years ago. With two of the largest commercial operations in
the USA close to Phoenix, there probably wouldn't be room for a third,
volunteer-run club. (It's also tough to get people to spend a day running
wings in 100-degree heat to earn 30 minutes in a 1-26! ) We currently have a
Grob 102 that is an inexpensive way for new pilots to transition to glass
and cross-country flying. Mostly we promote cross-country flying through
our race series and with training and mentoring meets.

ASA currently has 82 members, about 50 of whom own one (or more) sailplanes.
Of these 50, the majority fly cross country and at least half participate in
the ASA contest series. These 25 or so active pilots probably fly 80% of the
hours and cross-country miles and are the most active folks who run the
association.

Yes, we race a lot and some of our members are passionate about it. We
plead guilty to owning expensive sailplanes (are there any other sort!).
No, we're not private. Anyone can pay his $35 and join ASA, even folks from
out of state.

Mike

ASW 20 WA

"glen beckham" wrote in message
om...
It seems to me that the ASA is just a private little racing club for
those with expensive sailplanes.In my opinion the reason many people
drop out of soaring after getting a license, is that there is no place
to fly other then commercial operations which are more expensive and
are focused on other things.It seems the ASA could pattern itself
after the texas soaring assoc. or tucson's soaring club.