Old April 12th 05, 09:15 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
Whoa! I just went looking on the Jeppesen web site, and was disappointed
that there is hardly any price difference - Jeppview for Eastern US and
Eastern Canada is $852, and a Standard Airway Manual Service for the same
coverage is $980, for a mere $128 savings using the Jeppview. Considering
what they must save in printing and shipping and handling costs, I'm
surprised that Jeppview isn't way cheaper.

They still send CDs out every two weeks.

Yes, but if I were Jeppesen, I'd make one CD/DVD that covered the whole
world, and just have the software disable the bits you hadn't bought
coverage for. That would reduce their handling costs by a HUGE amount.
Plus it means that buying extra coverage would be a matter of downloading
a cryptographic token to unlock the extras. They could even give you the
equivalent of a "Trip Kit" - unlocking a coverage area just for one update
cycle.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/