Old March 29th 04, 02:57 PM
S. Ramirez

Default Why is ADF or Radar Required on MFD ILS RWY 32 Approach Plate?

Does anyone know why the Mansfield OH MFD ILS RWY 32 approach plate has ADF
or Radar Required written on it?

There is speculation on another forum that ADF is required to establish the
FAF for the localizer approach, but I argued that it is not required for the
ILS approach, since intercept of the glideslope is the "FAF" for the ILS
approach. The approaches we have in FL are similar but do not have ADF or
Radar Required written on them.

I can understand that without radar vectors, setting up for the ILS approach
would require ADF so that one overflies the NDB outbound, stays within ten
miles, and then comes back to intercept the glideslope; therefore, radar
vectors or ADF would be required for this approach. But this is obvious on
other approach plates without spelling it out. Why is this verbiage written
on this approach plate?

Thanks.

Simon Ramirez