Old September 2nd 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Larry Dighera wrote:
Because it is unlikely the FCC will agree to allocate additional
frequency spectrum for the proposed new communications system.

The frequency allocation would need to be changed or added to on an
international scope, so I believe the operative organizations would be the
ITU and the ICAO or IATA - the FCC would simply enforce the change within
the U.S. Like you, I would have thought new allocations or changed
allocations would be hard, but changes are made every four years and in the
GHz range they seem to been more readily done; e.g.:

http://www.boeing.com/connexion/news...r_030707j.html