Old December 4th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dan[_1_]

Default Crosswind landing control..

My impression that the elevator applied varying levels of downward
force to balance the plane about the center of lift. I am not aware
that the elevator could even produce _upward_ force on the tail.

If it can't produce upward force, then the rear of the plane could be
made no lighter than when it is standing still, therefore it could
transfer no _additional_ weight to the nosewheel no matter what the
control inputs. Where is this logic flawed (seriously, I want to
understand if this is wrong...)

--Dan

Crash Lander wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...
So, this damage is a result of slamming the nosewheel down, or applying
forward pressure after the wheels are firmly on the ground?

It would seem that forward pressure on the stick would not actually
_push_ the nosewheel down, but simply allow the weight of the engine to
settle onto the nosewheel sooner.. Does pushing actually apply more
downward force on the nosewheel than when the plane is sitting on the
ramp?

No, it doesn't, but when travelling at speed down the runway, pushing the
stick forward increases the angle of attack of the tail plane, (obviously),
and in effect, transfers more weight to the front of the a/c by making the
rear lighter. (I think I'm explaining this right!)
Oz Lander