Old May 11th 20, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Couple of observations from the cheap seats.

1. This has been a ongoing problem with NO solution since the first aerotow ever.
I wonder when the first tug upset fatality took place, in the '20's?

2. These accidents are [ I think ] 100% on the glider pilot.
We glider pilots have to do a better job while on tow period. No matter what happens if you get out of line, your first move has to be to release. Forget the canopy, snake, bee, your phone, electrical fire, anything really, etc etc.

3. From the pictures it appears to me the towplane impacted the runway, but I'm not sure, but it looks like it to me. If so, the tug was probably still very low and and any type of release isn't going to save the day. It probably happened in a very few seconds.

Damn *this sucks,* BAD.

Its So unfair to the tug pilot, and his family.
I'm into this gliding stuff for fun and this IS NOT fun.
We as a group HAVE to do better than this.
Nick