Old July 3rd 03, 05:29 AM
Paul Baechler

In article ,
(toadmonkey) wrote:

No. I'm not on any drugs and I do not have seizures.

All in all, I have been recovering from it for 18 years now. I have a
driver's
license and have had it for about 16 years and I have no tickets (for moving
violations, anyhow) for over ten years and no at-fault accidents in the entire
16 years. That probrobly doesn't mean much to most, but when it's involving
TBI
recipients, I think it is.

There's a consulting group called Virtual Flight Surgeons
http://www.aviationmedicine.com/, which has a good reputation. They
are expensive, but offer a free telephone consultation, which would at
least give you an idea of how much difficulty may be involved. There's
another consulting group at
http://www.leftseat.com/ which I think also
offers a free initial consultation. There's also AOPA if you're a
member; the membership would be worth it for the assistance they can
offer on the medical. You could also call the FAA (maybe your Regional
Flight Surgeon) to try to get an idea of what's involved. Ultimately,
however, the only way to determine if you can be certified is to go to
an Aviation Medical Examiner and take the exam. Try to pick an AME who's
willing to make the effort to get you certified, some of them aren't
enthusiastic about following up on deferred medicals. Call first,
explain your situation and ask what records and documentation you should
bring with you; if he's not interested or doesn't know (or isn't willing
to put forth the effort to find out) look for anther AME.

--
Paul Baechler