Old February 12th 04, 10:36 AM
Janos Bauer

Of course we also lower the nose (generally it's enough for most of
the winch drivers before the ailerons are actuated. The winch driver
facing to the sailplane and moving of wings is much more visible than
the fuselage twisting.
If the speed is too high probably you fly with steep angle and in this
position the winch driver will see the glider belly only. Ailerons
movement will make small effect but rudders will shake the whole fuselage.
Regards,

/Janos

Lars Peder Hansen wrote:
Janos' recommendations are good, with one exception:

- discuss common signaling method between winch driver and pilots (at
our site: too slow use ailerons, too fast use rudder)

At my home field (and throughout Denmark), we use:
Too slow: Lower nose somewhat, signal with rudder.
Too fast: Signal with ailerons.
When too slow (and maybe with too high AOA for the speed), aileron
deflections that might get one wing above critical AOA is the last thing we
want, right?