Old August 23rd 03, 01:18 AM

(Bill Kapaun) wrote:

Since we rarely introduce new aircraft types in this era, the
manufacturers can't gamble as much on an innovative design. There may not
be another contract up for bid for quite a few more years if they fail.
Compare the # of models/year when the F-80-to F-106 were introduced/tested.
The "pie" just doesn't have as many "slices" any more.
In the 50's, IF a manufacturer didn't win a contract, there were several
more up for the bidding.

Using a pair of twin-turbo V-6 automotive engines and his trademark
composite design, Burt Rutan attempted to beat the speed record for
prop-driven aircraft with his unlimited Pond racer. It burned up at
Reno, and last I heard the old Grumman F6F Bearcat still holds the
speed record.

So much for Rutan not having anything good to say about the JSF or
the F-22...

-Mike Marron