Old June 11th 11, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wingtips for PW-5

On Jun 10, 4:20*pm, Vsoars wrote:
On Jun 9, 7:09*pm, "
wrote:

On Jun 9, 3:54*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

On Jun 9, 11:32*am, kilocharlie kilocharlie.

wrote:
Did anyone run across any information related to Wingtips
design/availability for the PW-5. This is understood that it will negate
PW-5 World Class categorization however shell be available to all PW-5
registered uder Experimental Cert...

The only PW5's I've met in person felt so lightly built that I'd be a
bit worried about whether there is enough margin for increasing the
root bending moment as you would with span extensions. Of course,
there might be enough margin for some modestly-sized winglets but even
those will increase the root bending moment somewhat.

You can't put lipstick on a pig...

Al

It is sad that some people want to take their precious time to try to
kill soaring or at least kill the joy of soaring for others. Al, do
you not care that others may find enormous satisfaction in soaring in
these lovely gliders? PW 5s are just as much fun to fly as the
expensive ships. Yes. I found it fun to fly a Duo Discus in Omarama.
But for places like Parawan, or any place in this country, nothing can
beat the fun of a PW 5. (I have over 1,100 hours in one, nearly all on
cross-country flights, some in wave flights; it’s not just for
beginners.)

True... everyone can get enjoyment from flying anything, isn't that
the joy of flight?

But I think this sport takes itself WAY to seriously....
If you show up every weekend to fly a PW5 more power to you, I guess I
need to punctuate every post with a or LOL.

I am at a point in my life where I cannot fly as much as I want
because of business and family.
But I race every night with anywhere between 15-20 guys from France
and Europe on Condor to keep the XC strategy skills alive and find a
lot of enjoyment in that.
You can find the race results on http://condor-club.eu.

My Salto is about to be finished and will be flying that... Now
that's the same span as a PW5 and out performs a PW5 in every
dimension.
So I guess the message is fly what you can but always try to fly the
best you can get your hands on.

When you use this world-wide forum just to kick sand in other people’s
faces, you are making it harder for those who are working to grow the
sport. *Did you get THAT much pleasure in making a snobbish and
insulting remark? * Some people who criticize lower cost gliders do so
out of a fear that they could not fly a lower L/D ship cross-country
successfully.

Oran Nicks developed plans to build a PW 5 with extension winglets.
Nicks was a highly respected aeronautical engineer, instrumental in
the design of the space shuttle and was the US representative in the
selection of the PW 5 as the World Class glider. According to his
calculations, the structural integrity of this sturdy ship could
easily allow for the extensions. *He home-built a PW 5 and was working
to encourage others to do so. *Not only would it have both the “class-
legal” tips and the 15 meter tips, it could be stored in a
conventional garage (without winglets), thus avoiding the cost of a
hanger and long trailer. *The goal was low cost gliding for those who
don’t want to spend a huge sum of money. I hope someone will pursue
this great idea.

If I recall correctly the Nicks fatal wounds were from the wing root D
section invading the cockpit as it cartwheeled after hitting an
obstruction.
With no leading edge cross tube there is not enough Fuz. strength to
prevent that from happening .

The Concept in all these smaller gliders is great but IMHO execution
of some is better than others is the reality.

Cheers

Al