Old April 26th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
flynrider via AviationKB.com

Default What if...

john smith wrote:

The spin is not the problem. The spin is a low speed maneuver as the
inside wing is stalled while the outside wing is flying.
The steep spiral dive at high speed can lead to airframe damage.

This was a topic in the acro community a couple of years ago.
Many pilots believed that the airframe g-loading ratings applied to all
attitudes of flight. It was the T-34 the accident that that had the
Baron wing replacement that set off the discussion.
From that we learned that the g-loadings only applied to wings level
flight.

High angle of bank and high airspeed will result in wing failure below
the manufacturers publish g-loading limit.

I was suggesting a steep spiral dive within reasonable flight parameters.
I practice these occasionally and I haven't bent the plane yet. In a
stabilize spiral, the G-loading on the wings should be the same as Gs applied
in level flight.

The reason I prefer the manuever is that it gets you down faster than a
lower airspeed descent (i.e. flaps out). Plus, there is the possibility the
that the higher airspeed could over-oxygenate the fire and put it out.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)