Old November 8th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Highflyer

Default Re-finishing brushed-on AFS/Stewart?

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I think we would all agree a proper sprayed on surface is prefereble
to brushed on.

There are times and places where spray is inpractical; primarily a
place to do it; compressor noise primarily and overspray in the
neighborhood.

If I'm understanding correctly, you are saying that one can brush on,
but be prepared for some patient sanding; am I correct? - Mike

You can brush most any finish. The gloss of a painted surface depends on
the quality of the surface before the paint is applied.
When the paint begins to cure surface tension will level the surface.
To get a nice shiny reflective surface you need to get it locally level
to the order of the wavelength of light. For a brushed surface to
level this well takes a while. To give the surface tension time to
work use sufficient retarder in the mix to give it time to level out.

This is hard to do with dope and lacquers, even with a sprayer!
That is why they generally need to be rubbed out to scrape off the
high spots and level the surface. The do make a brushing lacquer
that was used a great deal is carriage work for the fine painted detail
finishs on the elegant Victorian carriages. You can still get
it. It is essentially lacquer with a retarder to slow the drying time
and give it time to flow out from the surface tension before it sets
up.

I have used that trick for touchup work on cars and airplanes for years.
Sometimes for fairly large areas, like hand sized or larger.

Highflyer
Highflight Aviation Services
Pinckneyville Airport ( PJY )