Old April 19th 12, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kent Leyde

Default IS-28B2 Twin Lark - Service Life Extension Program

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:44:11 AM UTC-7, Pat McCartan wrote:
Our club owns an I.C.A.-BRASOV IS-28B2 Twin Lark which is grounded because it has exceeded its 35 year factory maintenance program service life. About a year ago the current type certificate holder, S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A., announced it intended to submit a Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) to EASA - with follow-on submission to the FAA. We are no longer able to reach S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. by phone - and they do not respond to emails. Can anyone shed any light on the status of the SLEP or offer any contact information for S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A.? We enjoy this ship and would like to return it to service.

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:44:11 AM UTC-7, Pat McCartan wrote:
Our club owns an I.C.A.-BRASOV IS-28B2 Twin Lark which is grounded because it has exceeded its 35 year factory maintenance program service life. About a year ago the current type certificate holder, S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A., announced it intended to submit a Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) to EASA - with follow-on submission to the FAA. We are no longer able to reach S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. by phone - and they do not respond to emails. Can anyone shed any light on the status of the SLEP or offer any contact information for S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A.? We enjoy this ship and would like to return it to service.

Last year

On Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:44:11 AM UTC-7, Pat McCartan wrote:
Our club owns an I.C.A.-BRASOV IS-28B2 Twin Lark which is grounded because it has exceeded its 35 year factory maintenance program service life. About a year ago the current type certificate holder, S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A., announced it intended to submit a Service Life Extension Program (SLEP) to EASA - with follow-on submission to the FAA. We are no longer able to reach S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A. by phone - and they do not respond to emails. Can anyone shed any light on the status of the SLEP or offer any contact information for S.C. Constructii Aeronautice S.A.? We enjoy this ship and would like to return it to service.

After seeing Steve Rander's name in a Soaring (Feb 2010) article about the Lark safe life issue, I traded some correspondence with him on the topic. (Steve, are you out there?)

During our correspondence, Steve decided to get in touch with the factory again. At that time (June 2011) he received a very hopeful sounding reply, something to the effect that the factory was only waiting on some local "airframe health reports" that would serve as a basis for life extension before submitting to EASA ...it all sounded very imminent. Steve was intending to share this with SSA for publishing; I don't recall if the info was published or not.

I touched base with Steve again last month; he indicated that the factory had become silent...sounds similar to your experience.