Old April 21st 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Ultralite helicopter

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net wrote in
message ...
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:05:16 -0700, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

Just back from Bensen days and Sun'n Fun. I flew (hover taxiied) a 254#
legal ultralite helicopter. I was amazed at the lack of any tendency to
depart to a foreign zip code. The little Mosquito Air felt more stable to
me than a Bell 47.
At Sun'n Fun John Snider demonstrated several autos to the ground in his
experimental class Mosquito. Some of the autos were hovering autos from
as
high as 15-20 ft. John also has produced an outstanding video showing
the
techniques he uses in doing full down autos from varying positions and
also
demonstrates stretching and shortening the auto to reach a good spot. He
also demonstrates a throttle chop with the collective held showing how
long
it takes the rotor to decay. While a bit pricey as videos go ($90) it is
well worth the price and a must have if you are a Mosquito owner or
considering a Mosquito or just want to walk thru some autos while in your
easy chair.
John can be reached at
Stu

I wish someone would create a small home built that'd lift us bigger
(6'2", 230lbs) guys and still carry reasonable fuel...

Kevin: You are not to far from the Legal Ultralite empty weight. I doubt if
you will see one that can lift double its empty weight and still not cost a
bundle. There are arguments about intermeshing rotors being able to pick up
quite a load but the cost and complexity goes up. Extreme dieting may be
the only way; while certainly less desirable, the bang for the buck seems to
be there. I say that and I've been trying to drop from 186 to 170 for
awhile.

Stu

Stu