Old April 29th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Ultralite helicopter

Harry: Before you buy the new Ultralite version of Choppy, take a look at
the gross weight, 254# +360#= 614# to meet the normal rule of thumb of
10#/hp the Ultralite would need in excess of 60hp. Now the coning angle of
the blades is designed based on max gross wt and rotor rpm. Of course the
hp and rpm required are based on the lifting ability of the particular blade
airfoil and whether there is a linear twist or not. One of the things that
I have not seen at any of the 13 events that we cover each year for the past
8 years, is any ultralite helicopters other than an Ultrasport and a
Mosquito. One thing to insist on for the advertised claims: Show me a
demonstration. It is easy to produce specifications on paper and another to
actually have a flyer that meets those specifications.
My Safari weighs empty 1,000 #. It's payload capacity is 500#. If it was
easy to pickup 2,000# with the Safari, I'm sure the kit manufacturer would
do it.
Caveat Emptor
Stu Fields
Experimental Helo Magazine.

"Harry Skelton" wrote in message
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:
I wish someone would create a small home built that'd lift us bigger
(6'2", 230lbs) guys and still carry reasonable fuel...

I'm not 6'2" but I am heavy (250 lbs...sigh). According to the specs,
Vortec's Ultralight version of the New Choppy can handle useful loads of
upto 360 lbs. 254lbs craft (open frame) and a nice fuel burn of 1.5 hours
or so. That'd get you about 80 miles.

The non-ultralight version handles the same amount of weight, is enclosed,
and has a range of 180 miles or more. ($16,000 or so)

For the money, if you want range and a higher than normal useful load, you
might want to consider the Air Command ultralights. Rotor craft but it
does have a nice range for 5 gals.