Old March 8th 18, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 6:05:44 PM UTC-8, Jim Meade wrote:
Here is the result of a simulator experiment conducted for the U.S. Navy by a professor at the University of Iowa.
The objective is to see if a simulator can be used to more safely and cheaply train jet fighter pilots in missions.
The test bed is a Czech L-29 jet trainer with the trainee in the rear seat viewing a flat screen panel that can be programmed to emulate (in this case) an F-18 panel, and a safety pilot in the front seat.
Extensive measurements were taken.
It's not such a long paper.
My uneducated take from the paper as it relates to stress and physiological response is that heart rate is a very good approximation of work load and that a narrow input screen results in a higher heart rate than a broader screen. In other words, it appears to me that the a pilot with good vision and I assume good situational awareness has a lower heart rate than one with a limited vision view and perhaps less situational awareness.
I don't know how to link to a .pdf file, sorry. Here is the title.
"Neuroergonomic Assessment of Simulator Fidelity in an
Aviation Centric Live Virtual Constructive (LVC)
Application
Tom Schnell1, Alex Postnikov2, and Nancy Hamel3
1 Operator Performance Laboratory (OPL), University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 52242, USA
2 Advanced Technology Center, Rockwell Collins, 400 Collins Rd.,
Cedar Rapids, IA 52498, USA
3 Advanced Infoneering, Inc., 433 Hwy 1 W, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA"

5 Conclusions
The CATS neurocognitive, physiological workload measurement package described
in this paper has performed very well in our flight simulator and instrumented fighter
jet trainer. State-of-the-art active shielding electrodes have helped us to mitigate the
effects of adverse noise and signal acquisition. In our experiment we have
demonstrated that this package can be rapidly deployed on the pilot was performing I
dynamics tactical maneuvering in the real fighter jet training aircraft. Perhaps the
most significant conclusion of this paper is that heart rate appears to be a reliable, yet
simple method to characterize pilot workload demand.

You appear to be able to buy it for serious money he

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...642-21852-1_28