Old September 29th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default VFR Practise Approaches

Mike Adams writes:

The point you raised was about tracking the ILS while making
a straight in VFR approach. My only point was that if it's an
offset localizer (in the extreme) the tower might not think
you're making a straight in approach. If the tower has approved
you doing a practice ILS approach that's a different situation.

The large fudge factor allowed for straight-in VFR is so generous that it
should easily cover the small offset of an offset localizer or LDA approach.
Even an LDA approach should not be more than 6 degrees from the centerline,
which is trivial compared with VFR tolerances. "Straight-in" doesn't mean that
you have to be on the centerline 20 miles out (although you can be if you
want). It just means that you're not flying the pattern.

However, your point is taken, in that some instrument procedures might depart
sufficiently from normal VFR behavior that you'll probably want ATC to approve
of them before you practice them under VFR, so that they know why you don't
seem to be following the pattern. A circling approach would be one example.
That's why I mentioned an ILS approach, which looks just like a straight-in
approach under VFR.