Old December 18th 03, 08:32 PM
David CL Francis

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 at 17:05:08 in message
, Dylan Smith
wrote:

If it's the Auster I'm thinking of, I have several hours of time in
the Auster 5J1 we use to tow gliders. Built in 1946. The company
(Auster) vanished years ago.

I believe the original aircraft were called Taylorcraft Austers.

Soon after WW2 The British Taylorcraft company decided to build a more
economical version of their Auster Mk V.

That led to the Taylorcraft Auster MkV Series J-1 Autocrat* and on the
7 March 1946 they changed their name to Auster Aircraft Ltd.

*I had lessons in one of those from April 1954 to September 1955.
--
David CL Francis