Old September 20th 04, 11:34 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:29:50 -0500, "SFM" wrote:

Does a dual check of the VORs for use in instrument flight only count if it
has been done while in flight? Or if you do it on the ground (document it)
is that meet the FARs?

We had a fairly heated hanger discussion about this and I would like to hear
some more opinions.

Well, my opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it :-) and my opinion
is that the checking of one VOR against another does not need to be done in
the air. It can be done in the air or on the ground.

It seems to me that if you are checking your VOR's per 91.171(c) (the dual
VOR check), there is nothing in that paragraph that says the check must be
done in the air; and it does state that if you are using that procedure, it
is *in place of* the procedures in paragraph (b). Therefore it seems to me
that paragraph (c) supersedes (b).

=================================
§ 91.171 VOR equipment check for IFR operations.

(c) If dual system VOR (units independent of each other except for the
antenna) is installed in the aircraft, the person checking the equipment
may check one system against the other in place of the check procedures
specified in paragraph (b) of this section. Both systems shall be tuned to
the same VOR ground facility and note the indicated bearings to that
station. The maximum permissible variation between the two indicated
bearings is 4 degrees.

--ron