Old July 11th 03, 05:35 PM
Apis Gliders

In article , Andreas Maurer
writes:

1. Is it really possible for the manufacturer to earn money with such a UL
glider?
Yes.

I see no way how such an equation can work as long as the UL glider is not
produced in a 3rd world country with extremely low wages.
That is what is happening. They are, for the most part, produced in countries
with lower wages than Germany. Even German gliders are produced in these
countries.

2. As long as used gliders of similar or superior performance are easily

available for the same price (especially this is the case for the huge
European market) few people are going to buy an UL glider.
Depends on the wants of the individual buyer. Some only want new. Some want a
lower cost selflaunch. For some the lightweight is important.
See www.apisgliders.com FAQ for more on this subject.

3. Aerotow by trike might be nice - but aerotow with a motorglider (Dimona

etc.) is similar concerning the cost
Not when you look at the cost of buying a trike versus buying a Katana
motorglider. About $100,000 difference at first glance.

And of course the cost for a winch launch are in a completely different
class.
As I understand it German UL regulations do not allow for winch launching.
Can anyone confirm this?

4. UL gliders have to be operated like outgrown gliders - they need helping

hands and an airfield to get airborne. No advantage for an UL glider vs an
outgrown glider here either.
Well I can easily push my 300lbs Apis glider to the launch grid, bit more
difficult with my 520lbs Genesis.
I can use a 13 year old to put my wings on because of their light weight,
(70lbs./31.5kg.).

Obviously the light gliders are giving the market what it wants. How else can
you explain the success of the Russia, Silent and the best of the lot the Apis?
The market speaks, the big 4 are not listening, the little 3 are.

Robert Mudd
Apis Sailplanes inc.